Hebrews 10:24-25 tells us that our faith was never intended to be practiced alone. It instructs the believers that we should gather together on a regular basis, sharing our love, strengthening one another through encouragements, and grow in intimacy with the Lord as a team.
Aside from knowing more of God, being transformed by the truth and being equipped through the process, one thing that a discipleship group blessed me with is getting to know my spiritual sisters – not by blood but absolutely by heart.
If you belong to a small group, you will agree with me that there are numerous perks of having them by your side. Here are mine…
1. You have accountability partners. Next to yourself, they are the individuals who are very much aware of your weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Same as a best friend, you might have confessed to them your past and present iniquities and shortcomings. More than anyone else, they are the ones who possess honesty and boldness to correct you, to warn you and to rebuke you in a very gentle and loving manner.
2. They pray for you. They have unlimited stocks of prayer. Whatever struggle you are facing or wherever life’s situation you are in, they are always available and ready to pray for you. Plus, they follow up, which makes you feel really important and blessed.
3. You learn from them. One should not experience everything in order to learn everything. At some point and at some area, they are more mature and knowledgeable than you. By listening to their stories, you will definitely be influenced, be informed and be inspired.
4. You celebrate occasions with them. You have one additional birthday celebration. You plan for a surprise birthday party of your discipler. You enjoy Christmas gatherings and other simple-yet-worthy-to-celebrate occasions such as career promotion, passing a licensure exam, an answered prayer, etc. In essence, you enjoy eating and sharing life’s happiness with them.
5. You can exchange books. On top of your collection, you certainly have an access to theirs as well. You just need to wait for your turn. A bookworm that is, you also have an instant book-sale buddy who will ‘go gaga’ with you as you both indulge to lots of good deals to your heart’s content.
6. There’s always fun. You have extra activities and you will really enjoy each one of them while developing both friendship and skills. Ours was a baking class and I’m looking forward to learn cooking from them as well. Who knows, we might have travels locally and abroad in the coming years.
Bible studies, cell groups, discipleship groups… one might think of it as plain and boring. Boy believe me, it’s not. I should say that if I want some great laugh, I need to sit with these ladies, enjoy what’s on the table, discuss all necessary matters and laugh out very loud without even noticing that it’s already #TenOclock. 🙂